Monday, April 02, 2007

That's Rewarding

Sunday School was somewhat of an event yesterday. While it was nice, and I feel like I did get the message for the lesson across (that's my aim), I am pleased by something that happened much later in the morning.

One of the children that attends our class had walked away for 3 months. Her friend invited her back, and she came. She's 10 years old, and comes from a broken home. Let's just say her and I aren't exactly buddy-buddy.

Originally, she wanted to get baptized in Jesus' name, but left before doing so, seemingly bawking at the event. More-so, it was the effect that our Christmas play was having on her, she wanted to do it but didn't want to practice, so my wife decided that she was going to get cut (we only had 5 practices, they were pretty important). After that, she stopped coming. Though we tried to reason with her and continually asked her best friend about her, she still failed to come.

Well, yesterday was her second week back. She was still a little rough in class, being who she is. I personally enjoying being friends with the kids and helping them to learn more about God in that manner than physically teaching a group of 6-9 year olds. She's the oldest in our class and due to graduate to the next class in September, and yesterday I felt like she had a breakthrough.

We had a missionary at the church, and when the altar call went out, she came forward. What happened next I didn't expect. She began to raise her hands and the missionary started to pray with her. She stood and prayed with assistance from others for 10 minutes or more. I know I was not the only one hoping that she would receive the Holy Ghost, but I was also doing the best I could for her by interceding - I've been in those situations, and I know how the mind can get distracted. I did not want her to leave wanting, but to get her fill.

Needless to say, my wife and I are quite proud of her, and we are hoping that this is just the start. I'm sure baptism in Jesus' name will be discussed again before long, and we're hoping that she goes through with it this time.

I don't take much of any credit for what happened except hopefully being a good example, but I do believe the missionary's sermon was what gave her the momentum to get out of that seat and come to the front. She's learned this stuff in Sunday School and is now seeing it at work in her own life.

That's rewarding, and I'm glad my wife and I could help her to see how good God really is - for He is truly awesome.

No comments: